Why study abroad in Paris? Over 5% of Paris’ population is comprised of university students and around 100,000 of them are foreign. It is an incredible place to spend a summer, semester, or whole year. Still not convinced? Here are 10 more reasons why you should pick Paris for your study abroad.
Why Study Abroad In Paris?
- You get to learn and practice French, a beautiful romance language and the 5th most spoken language in the world. Plus, if you don’t already speak French, many Parisians (especially those who work in the tourism industry, restaurants, and hospitality) speak English!
- There are bakeries (or boulangeries) everywhere. I mean, who doesn’t want to start their day with a fresh baguette tradition, a buttery croissant, or a decadent pain au chocolat? It’s pretty commonplace to see locals munching on baguettes in the street, since it’s so hard to resist starting your oven-hot baguette on your walk home. We can attest.
- Famous monuments, museums, and shows make for great classroom excursions. The Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, National Opera, and Theater will probably appear on your syllabi at least once. This means that academics will be exciting and integrated with the culture and history of the city itself. Paris will actively play a role in your studies, rather than merely be the backdrop of your semester abroad.
- What could be better than studying abroad where it is the norm to sit back and enjoy a glass of wine after a long day of classes or work? Oh, I know: Being able to do this at an outdoor café table that overlooks Notre Dame or the Seine. Plus, as your French improves, you will be able to eavesdrop on the juicy conversations of the Parisians sitting next to you.
- You have endless day trip and weekend trip options.
By train, you can easily head off to Versailles, Lyon, Champagne, Normandy, Brussels, London, Cannes, and Alsace. The best part is that you won’t even have to go through immigration or customs. If you are willing to take a flight, you can spend a weekend in Greece or Italy (if you can even part with Paris for that long).
- You can pop champagne literally anywhere and everywhere. This means that you can post a photo of yourself drinking champagne in front of the Eiffel Tower (and every other famous monument). Or, you can relax by the Seine with some drinks. Either way, casual drinking is a way of life and a reminder to slow down.
- Do you have a sweet tooth? Us too. Luckily, there is no shortage of fresh macarons, éclairs, and chocolates in Paris. Put away your bag of Cheetos and opt for the finer snacks in life.
You can go to a different market every weekend. Whether you’re a foodie, an antique collector, or a fashionista, there is a market for you! Check out the Marché aux Pouces de St-Ouen in the 18th arrondissement, the Marché Bastille, and the Marché des Enfants Rouges.
- There are endless bookstores in Paris. The art of old-fashioned books is not dead in the City of Lights. Don’t speak French? You can either buy French books to advance your vocabulary or check out the world-famous independent Shakespeare and Company bookstore, which has English language books!
- You will fall in love. While not necessarily with a significant other, you will definitely fall in love with Paris. Its romantic settings, culture, arts, gastronomy, and sophistication are bound to steal your heart. You might even move there forever.
When people ask us “why study abroad in Paris?,” these are our immediate responses. At ParisByM, we are lifelong lovers of Paris and believe that everyone should experience its magic at least once in their lives.